Location of Williamsburg in Whitley County, Kentucky. Williamsburg is a home rule-class city in and the county seat of Whitley County, Kentucky, United States. Williamsburg was first known as the Csc falls church office Ford after a nearby ford crossing the Cumberland River. On 19 April 1818 the first meeting of the Whitley County Court was held at Samuel Cox’s own home.
This first court appointed local officials as well as constables to work with the county militia. The town was then known simply as Whitley Courthouse. The town’s initial growth was fueled by three fresh water springs in the area and then by coal and lumber industries. N railroad coming to the town in 1883, opening the town to far flung markets and greatly easing the flow of population.
Shortly thereafter in 1886 the town would elect W. The Williamsburg school system was established in 1909 when the town voted to consolidate the multiple single-room schools in the area into one unified school district. This building would be destroyed by fire in 1926 and rebuilt into what would eventually be remodeled into the Anderson Building currently in use by the University of the Cumberlands. Finally, the district would move to its current location in 1983. Similarly, the county courthouse would be destroyed by fire in 1931, rebuilt, and then renovated 40 years later in 1971. Finally, in 2011 the courthouse was moved to the newly constructed Whitley County Judicial Center located adjacent to the old courthouse. Eastern Mountain Coal Fields and the Appalachian Plateau regions.